Here comes the fall & with it apple & pear season! Make the most of this year’s harvest with some delicious Keelings recipes.
Stuffed apple bowls
Just because a recipe doesn’t call for apples doesn’t mean we won’t find a way of using them in the recipe! There’s no tastier bowl than an in-season Irish apple.
- 4 eating apples.
- 1 tablespoons of honey.
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- A pinch of ground cloves.
- 1 Tablespoon of butter – in four pieces.
- 240 ml of hot water.
- 30g roller oats.
1. Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Scoop the core from the apples with a pairing knife.
2. Mix the brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey & cloves – Pack the mixture into the four apples.
3. Place the apples in a baking dish and top with butter. Pour the water into the dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 mins & remove foil. Return to the oven and bake for a further 25 mins.
4. Serve with some creme fraiche & enjoy.
Apple & Walnut Salad
This Keelings apple & walnut salad recipe is sweet, filling and almost deliciously nutritious!
- 80ml apple cider vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds.
- 4 eating apples, quartered, cores removed, thinly sliced.
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, chopped.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced.
1. Combine the vinegar, oil, fennel seeds, salt and pepper in a small bowl & whisk until well combined.
2. Combine the apples, celery, walnuts and onion in a larger bowl. Drizzle with the mixed dressing & toss gently to combine. Serve & enjoy.
These Keelings poached apples are a warming, yet indulgent affair.
- 6-8 pears.
- 1 litre freshly squeesed orange juice.
- 1 litre of water.
- Zest of one orange.
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 6 whole cloves.
1. Place all of the ingredients – barring the pears – into a large saucepan and heat over a low temperature.
2. Peel and core the pears, before adding to the heated mixture in the saucepan – ensure that the pears are fully submerged.
3. Simmer the mixture for 30 mins – until pears have softened. Remove pears from liquid, serve and enjoy!